Parallel Processing in Computer Architecture Notes with Examples
Parallel processing provides simultaneous data processing tasks for the purpose of increasing the computational speed of a computer system rather than each instruction is processed sequentially, a parallel processing system is able to perform concurrent data processing to achieve faster execution time and increase throughput.
There are more advantages with parallel processing but it has some issues also. Due to parallel processing, the amount of hardware increases and the cost of system increases. Parallel processing is established by distributing the data among the multiple functional units.
- MJ Flynn introduced the parallel processing classification.
- This classification considers the organisation of a computer system by the number of instructions and data items that are manipulated
- The sequence of instructions read from the memory constitutes an instruction
- The operations performed on the data in the processor constitutes a data
Flynn’s classification divides computer into four major groups as follows ‘
- Single Instruction stream, Single Data stream (SISD)
- Single Instruction stream, Multiple Data stream (SIMD)
- Multiple Instruction stream, Single Data stream (MISD)
- Multiple Instruction stream, Multiple Data stream (MIMI)
It represents the organisation of a single computer containing a control unit, a processor unit and a memory unit. Instructions are executed sequentially.
It represents an organisation that includes many processing units under the supervision of a common control unit. All processors receive the same instruction from the control unit but operate on different items of data.
Its architecture contains n processors unit, each receiving instruction streams and providing the same data stream. MISD structure is only of theoretical interest, since no practical system has been constructed using this organisation.
Its organisation refers to a computer system capable of processing several programs at the same time.
Sorting in Design and Analysis of Algorithm Study Notes with Example
Follow Us On Cyber Point Solution Youtube Channel : Click Here
Follow Us on Social Platforms to get Updated : twiter, facebook, Google Plus
Learn More Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security click on this link. cyber security